Monday, July 19, 2010

Costuming Blatherings

Firstly, I apologize for the distinct lack of pictures to illustrate what the heck I'm on about. Honestly, I did do stuff!

I pulled out a mightly can of whoop@$$ this weekend! By early on Saturday morning, I had finished every last stitch of stuff for my Vic, and Jannean's vic hat. I buckled right down to work on my 18th c. ..........

Because of the little tidbits I learned along the way on the last one, I made a few tweaks. (By the third one, I'll have even more!) Rather than making the front angled (which I really like, but didn't feel like messing with this time 'round), I did the front vertical. Which really makes for a nice angle in the back, if I do say so myself. I also added an extra 1.5" in the back for the en ferrou, which I really ended up liking. If I had someone there to help me muddle through another fitting for the lining, I would have taken out 1" of the center back, but as I did not, and I had a bodice that already fit pretty dang well, I decided to forego further futzing to save time. Here are the pleats sewn down, before the facing: (Sadly, the only pic of all the work I've done on the gown all weekend long!!)



I've struggled with the neckline greatly, I haven't found the *answer* to what's going on, and I may have done it wrong, but I finally settled on a 2" wide facing across the back. The shoulder straps will have a seam on the neckline, and the center front is already turned, so it was the best solution for what I had done already without a major construction change. I think it looks nice, even if it is wrong.

I really am pleased with how quickly the hand sewing is going - I am 91% done constructing the body of the gown with only one weekend, so hurrah! I think I will probably make it by the deadline!

I've spent an indordinate amount of time pondering options for this gown. I really wish I had more background on this type of costuming, I do feel like I'm floundering quite a bit. I must promise myself to never, ever, ever start another gown without a firm set of inspiration sources. This "figuring it out on the fly" stuff is for the birds! Here are some things I've thinking about:

-What type of hat is appropriate? I really do want a hat of some sort! I'm leaning towards a Bergère, but not 100% sure. (They're all gonna laugh at you!) There seems to be multiple trimming and shaping options for a basic Bergère, so there's that too. I blocked out a straw hat to be Bergère-esque - the straw is fairly rough, and I had to manipulate it so much, it's not the prettiest beast in the world, but it'll do, I think. (Even if the crown is not as crisp, and a bit higher than I'd like) I'm also thinking of lining the under side (and possibly even the top as well, depending on how fugly the straw is when all said and done) with some ivory silk (same silk as petticoat), and I have some lovely wide ivory ribbons too. I made a length of ruching while taking a break from the hand sewing to put 'round the brim. What I can't decide on is what type of shape to do? An upside-down "U", or flat with a cute little kick up in the back? Side-note here: I went searching 'round for an example of each type I'm thinking about to post here, but I'm starting to think my addled little mind has made it up. Blah.

-What type of hair is appropriate? This is directly related to the above. I'm pretty sure some sort of hedgehog 'do, but not positive. Also of concern is if I have enough natural hair to do a mini-hog? (They're all gonna laugh at you!) I don't have the funds (or time, probably) to buy a new wig or hairpiece. Here's a little test of what can be done with my hair (so very not perfect, just a quick 10 minute futzing to see if it is at all possible!)

(It's a bit hard to tell with how dark the pictures are, but there's some 'hoggin going on round the sides and top, and there are three sausage rolls going down the center back. Then, obviously, a couple of curls hanging down on either side. If I were to do this style for real-reals, I would actually put product in it to make it a bit more poufy and smooth down some of the fly-aways, this is just my hair in it's natural (plus a bit of back combing) state with no added mousse or hairspray)

-False bum or panniers? I've not found anything concrete either way, and it is truly driving me insane. I really don't want to do something inappropriate. (They're all gonna laugh at you!) There is enough room in the hips to do either way, so I don't have to worry too much about it until I get to the hemming stage, I think. Also, I'm planning on polonaise-ing (what is the correct term??) this gown, so that will also help hide any un-evenness, I think. I am hoping next time I do a fitting, I'll put it on, and one or the other will just look 'right', and that will solve that problem.

-Trimming? Aaaaah, trimming. I am completely boggled. I don't want to look plain, but I don't want to put on an incorrect trimming. (They're all gonna laugh at you!) Gaaaah! I've seen a few very, very plain striped gowns, but I'm wondering if 1) the trimming has been stripped off over time, and/or 2) the gown isn't *fancy* enough to have trimming. I'd like mine to look a smoodge more fancy than not, but I don't want to look all plain-jane either.




And bonus: Comfy goggie

No comments:

Post a Comment