Thursday, August 6, 2009

CW Plaid Dress Progress

I messed around with the bodice yesterday since I wasn't feeling well and skipped Coronation. Here are the pics:

I finally got the toile worked out, and it wasn't too bad in the end. I added 1" to the front neckline, took out about 1" at the lower back, and added 3" at the front.

I basted the pieces together, and added the piping to the shoulders and the side back on the back pieces.

Then sewed the front center pieces together, pressed and flipped over, and sewed the side back and shoulder seams, pressing them open. then I tried the whole thing on again. I roughly pinned the gathered pieces to the waistband, then marked the pieces. I cut off the pieces that were too long, which ended up being about 2" at the very back and then tapering down to the side front--you can see the piece I cut off lined up on the bottom in the picture below. I actually remembered to transer all the changes to my paper pattern, so next time I make this dress, it will go together in no time. (Most of my time was spent fiddling around with the toile!)

I overcast all the seams to they are not quite so raw. I really hate leaving raw seams, but apparantly it's extremely period. Gah!
Here is the bodice pleated into the waistband, and the piping at the neckline pinned in.

I didn't take any picture of the sleeve making, but it's pretty boring - just your standard back seam puffy sleeve gathered into a cuff. I didn't check the cuff before I made it, and the pattern was measured to have hook and eye at the ends for attachment. If I had thought about it, I would have added some for buttonholes, I would have prefered that. But oh well, it'll work!

No comments:

Post a Comment