Friday, May 6, 2011

Trapunto–I may have found the perfect project!

I’ve been itching to put my newly-found trapunto skillz to work, but was hesitant to start on a full-size quilt.  (quite daunting for the beginner!)

I eventually had a brain flash; “Hey, wait, I think I remember seeing quilted stomachers at some point or another…..I wonder if there are any that use that technique?”

Lo and behold, I found the perfect project!  Not too big to be overwhelming, actually useful, and just complicated enough to be slightly amazing!

2006AR0192_jpg_lStomacher, V&A Museum

The description mentions that there is also “drawn-thread-and-pulled-fabric work” (which I also happen to be able to do!), although I’m not sure exactly what’s going on with the design. 

From the Victoria and Albert Museum:

“A stomacher is a decorative panel of fabric, usually triangular in shape, worn to fill the space between the front edges of a woman’s open gown. The stomacher formed part of the ensemble of fashionable women’s dress from the 1680s to the 1780s. This example incorporates whitework embroidery, quilting and cording. In the latter technique, parallel lines of stitching have been filled with short lengths of linen cord, inserted from the back of the fabric. The bold design includes flowers, leaves, pomegranates and shells. As quilting and cording were popular techniques for petticoats and informal jackets, this stomacher may well have been part of a matching ensemble.”

It would be nice to have the option of making a fully matching ensemble, although I don’t think that would happen for quite some time!

This is all very preliminary, and I’ll be researching some further design options before I begin, but I’m so excited I don’t want to wait to tell you all!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an excellent project to get your trapunto skills going!

    ReplyDelete