Tuesday, June 28, 2011

It’s the little things that keep one going….


Recently, a couple of interactions have really buoyed my confidence and made me feel really, really good.

At Laurels Prize Tourney, one of the other entrants came up to me and said “Oh! You’re the one who taught buttons!” I was a bit taken back since I didn’t recognize this lady at all, but replied that I had, in fact taught about fabric buttons at Kingdom Collegium last year. She went on to tell me about the outfits that she had made for herself and her husband using my technique, how well it worked, and had even taught a lady in her group that very same morning about the magic that is fabric buttons.

s320x240

It seems like such a little thing, but she was so excited about it all that I was walking on air for the rest of the day. I felt reinvigorated to teach even more classes, and to get back to some sewing.

Unfortunately, I didn’t have the presence of mind to exchange contact information, and I for the life of me cannot remember her name, but mystery lady from the North…..you MMD. Seriously.

I also had a chance to catch up with Beatricia. I tried to explain to her just how much she has influenced me over the years, but she tutted and said “Me? No – you were already well on the right path”.

But seriously, this woman has guided my every costuming thought*, though I only saw her but once or twice a year. She has always been so kind and supportive, giving gentle criticism when due, and praising the positive at every opportunity.

She certainly doesn’t only treat me in this manner, but has always been this kind to everyone. I truly aspire to be at least a little like her one day, she is my hero, both in costuming and in deportment. I love this woman so very much, she has given me an ideal to aspire to.

*I kid you not, when I’m waffling about something or thinking about taking a shortcut, I think to myself, “What would Beatricia say?”

6 comments:

  1. I know that this makes you embarrassed, but as Beatricia is to you, you are to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's an awesomesauce pic of Beatricia:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/bloodstone/46592939/in/photostream/  She is definitely one of those laurel-idols.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG....see?!  Who wouldn't idolize that woman?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheesh.....yeah, no, I'm certainly no Bea!  I'm happy I can be at least a little inspirational, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beatricia is definitely an amazing woman!  I was so happy to have been able to talk to her for a while at Uprising.  I think my first contact with her was the Uprising quite a few years ago when I first wore my black and red Tudor.  She was processing in to Grand Court, yet she still smiled at me and mouth, "Beautiful!"  Then on her way out, she stopped to tell me that it was so nice to see someone put such attention to detail into an outfit.  I, of course, told her it was Noelle's work.  Do you remember that Noelle?  I didn't know who she was, but you did a little squee of happiness and told me she was your idol.  :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE BEA!
    Okay I love you too, but I know what you mean. Caryn introduced me to her years ago, and I squee'd. She's awesome in a league unto herself.
    As for the buttons -- Malatessa (she was in your little impromptu class at collegium) taught 4 adults and 6 childeren how to make the fabric buttons yesterday after learning from you.
    I am happy to say I have a very beautiful little fabric button because of the class.

    You do rock, you are awesome. People do admire and aspire to be like you.

    ReplyDelete