The rules are:
1) Thank and link back to the person who nominated you
2) Paste the award to your blog (I'll work on that....my Blogger layout has been kind of funky for a while!)
3) Tell 7 things about yourself
4) Nominate up to* 15 other blogs
7 Things About Me
- Halloween has always been by very favorite holiday. (Tis the season, and all) Oddly enough, the more I got into costuming as a hobby, the less and less I've done things very Halloween-y.
- I've been a member of the SCA for going on 13 (or 14?) years. My early years were more focused on the martial combat aspect of the game, but as I grew older (and suffered multiple car accidents), my focus (quite happliy) has shifted to clothing, embroidery, cooking, illumination and music. The SCA has been the bulk of my costuming experience, although I'm trying to branch out! I've been out of the loop in my local SCA group for far too long, and I thoroughly intend to get my act together soon and start playing again. (I miss my friends!!)
- I am super-lucky that my wonderful husband completely supports me and my costuming habit - even if he doesn't quite.....get it. (Love you, honey!) In the last few years, I've been attempting to stretch my costume making and events to include other eras. I'm hoping to make next year a better year than the last few for costumed events!
- I am an addict for sewing gadgets and specialty gizmos. I can never, ever have enough! My two favorite things right now (because I used them both so much on my last project!) are my applique scissors, and my rotary cutting machine (I just wish they had a bigger selection of cutting blades!).
- I hate sleeves. With a blinding and bloody passion. I dread, and sometimes choose my next project solely dependent upon the sleeves. (I am going to follow this tutorial faithfully next time I have to do set in sleeves, and see if I can manage a set of sleeves with minimal angst!)
- I've been able to survive costuming almost solely from my stash for the past 3+ years! (Granted, one year of that has been all quiet on the costume front, but still.....) I'm not sure if that is a good thing, or a bad thing! (Actually, one of my upcoming posts is probably going to be along the stash-busting lines...)
- My very favorite colors are lavender, sage-y green, and an awful shade of green, that my good friend Holly calls "Greemp" (Funnily enough, when going to look for a color swatch, the one that most closely resembles my fav color is called, of all things, "Offbeat Green"!)
Nominate Other Blogs**
In no particular order:
- To Bead or Not To Bead Phae is a ridiculously enthusiastic and awesome costumer who does Queen Elizabeth for local Ren Faires. She is so generous and lovely!
- The Compleatly Dressed Anachronist I have been lurking and following Edyth for quite some time - and I love her! (She has prompted multiple linen and wool splurges that I have yet to delve into!) Is is creepy to say I've been thinking of a trip to an event in the Middle on the off chance of meeting her IRL? Yeah, probably creepy.
- Bella Miss Ella I've been a fan since the good 'ole Livejournal days! (And I have to admit, I've been awful about keeping up with my good friends over at Livejournal. Boo!) She has such a fun outlook, and is such a creative costumer. I can't say enough about how much I wish to meet her some day!
- Madame Isis' Toilette I have been following Isis' 18th c. blog, Isis' Wardrobe, but somehow missed the fact that she started a toiletries-centric blog! A woman after my own heart!
- Is that an Apres? Hastings puts the phrase "over the top" to shame! She's constantly doing crazy, huge, detailed projects that would put me in an early grave! This gal knows how to dream, and dream big!
- See Jane Sew It seems like yesterday that I (very uncharacteristically, by the by) spotted and immediately accosted Jane at Uprising! I wish I saw her more often nowadays, and it does seem that I saw her more when she lived out of state! I miss you, Jane!
- Mode Historique It's no secret - I want to grow up to be her! The few times I have met her in person, she's been as kind and gracious as I would imagine she would be. She's ridiculously talented, and has a head for research - and certainly knows her stuff. My husband probably thinks I'm nuts....The first time Sarah commented on my humble blog, I went flying downstairs and shouted "MY COSTUMING HERO COMMENTED ON MY BLOG! OMG!!1!" A while after that, at my first attendance at Costume College, she stopped me in the hall, and introduced herself. And guess what - after she continued on her way, frantic phone call to my husband followed....and you guessed it......."MY COSTUMING HERO JUST RECOGNIZED ME IN THE HALLWAY AND INTRODUCED HERSELF! OMG!!1!" So yeah. It's true, I'm a fangirl.
- The Path Within Jaquelinne can do anything. She's like Superman, only prettier! Seriously, folks. Her extensive repertoire of crafty craftyness is mind-boggling! I adore this woman! She has such a steady calm and grace about her, that one can't help but feel at peace whenever she is around!
- Festive Attyre I've been avidly following Jen since the Festive Attyre website. She's been such a huge costuming inspiration over the years! I love her incredible range of work - holy cow, this woman does everything!
- Before the Automobile I cannot believe how insanely perfect this woman looks. I love her look - she's so poised and put together from head to toe! Were I a jealous person, I would most certainly put her at the top of my 'so very jealous of' list!
- The Couture Courtesan Another fine lady I've been covertly stalking since LiveJournal. I am always amazed at the wide array of skill she possesses! I'm pretty sure by now, she's done one of everything! She always looks so classic and stylish - no matter what century she's wearing.
- Costuming Drama That fateful day at Costume College when she declared "We have the same name, we have to be friends!".....And dare I say, although I've been an awful, absentee friend the past year, I love this girl! She is So Awesome. The 'Other Noelle' has so much energy and talent - I wish I could live like her!
- Démodé What I wouldn't give to spend a weekend sewing with Kendra! I just want to lick her brain and gain some knowledge! As a side-note, unbeknownst to me, I met her briefly at Costume-Con 23 (I think it was 23?), when I swerved, stomped on my brakes and headed towards all the pretty, be-costumed people walking down the street. I then called my friends,forced them to dress up in the gowns I had made for them, and show up to this 'Thing' that was going on. (At the time of the frantic phone calls, I still had no idea what was going on!) I'd been avidly devouring anything costume-related I could find on the internet - I would have died if I known the person I was talking to was The Kendra.
*my own addition. :)
**I know not everyone participates in 'blog awards', but I thought it would be nice to be able to give a shout-out to people I think are pretty dang rad, whether they've already received, or do not participate in blog awards!