Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Manic Sewing Weekend

Wow, what a weekend. Holly came up, and we sewed nearly 24/7.

We were able to finish off the last touches to my baby-blue Venetian gown, and nearly all of her new bronze Venetian. All the pics that we took of the construction of her dress are on her camera, so when she emails them to me, I'll post a mini dress diary. It's pretty groovy. Since Holly and I are very close to the same size, I'll be stealing the pattern for my next dress.

For a while there on Saturday, it was a sweatshop; Holly, Val, Melia, and myself all frantically sewing in my living room. It was quite the disaster area. Still is a disaster area, come to think of it. I don't think I'll have the time to tidy up until after next weekend! *sigh* Val worked on her Tudor gown that we patterend a couple of years ago. (I hope it still fits!) Melia worked on her smock for her Tudor I made for her last 12th Night. I am SO proud of her, she's sewing stuff all by herself now! Next is to teach her how to pattern and drape....mwahahahaha.....

Here's the inspiration portrait for Holly's gown:

I doubt I'll get the sleeves done in time for next weekend, and the shoulder treatments are cut and sewn, but not tacked on. Next weekend it will be a very plain incarnation of this gown with no sleeves, no shoulder treatments, and no massive partlet-y dealio, but it will be super beautiful. We added a wide black velvet guard to echo the guards on the front of the bodice. The front closes with hook-and-eyes, a first for me. Holly has been hand sewing like mad to get the guards on the bodice finished. After that, the only thing to do is to attach the skirt to the bodice. I think there will be time for that. (I hope!!)

As for my gown, all I have to do is to attach the lace on my bodice and finish constructing the shirt. I gave up on the camacia/partlet idea since they were both giving me fits and I have limited time to finish them in. I started on my shirt this morning, and I had decided to just make it wearable and not worry about seams or machine sewing. So far, I've hand-sewn everything. Darn me and my allergy to exposed seams!!! At least this is a garment that I'm not experimenting with; I know it will work and I don't need to spend ages fiddling with the pattern as I've had to do with everything I've sewn in the last month.

The gown will be ready to be worn by next weekend, as long as I find my stupid smock, that is! I hope I can find it, since I doubt I'll have time to make another. *cross fingers*

No comments:

Post a Comment