Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Help! I appeal to the collective!

Thanks to Jane, I'm thinking I may try to do something for the Ice Cream Social. HOWEVER - I've decided that if I don't decide on a direction by Friday afternoon, I'm not going to do it. So. Here's my problem. I know just about next to nothing about 18th c, and I'm really quite overwhelmed.

I do have a set of panniers my sister and I made 1+ years ago that are (I think) turned out quite nice. I also have my hand sewn effigy stays, though while not ideal, I think can at least approximate the look of the 18th century.

Here's where you all come in. I need help. Is there anything of the below that should just be struck from the list of possibilities? Is there anything that is just screaming to be "X"? If so, what?

1. Lavender silk dupioni. I would say 'taffeta', but there are just a very few minor slubs. The bonus with this fabric is I have a super awesome matching hat, all ready to go. I've been searching for portraits and fashion plates to base an entire outfit on, but I am coming up blank! I know the hat is only appropriate for certain styles of dress, but I can't for the life of me find examples! Argh! The fabric matches the hat so perfectly that I don't want to do a half-arsed job and mess it up.


2. Printed cotton. (lawn??) It is quite sheer and thin. When I first saw this fabric, I thought it screamed 18th century, but now I'm not so sure. Is the pattern too small? Just not 'right'? I dunno. I wish I could remember the movie/tv show that I saw a similar fabric used in a gown and it made me fall in love, but now I can't remember the show, or even what the gown looked like.


3. Pink striped cotton. Lots heavier than #2. Again, I thought it screamed 18th c, and now I'm doubting the possibility. The stripes seem a bit too narrow?


4. Striped gold taffeta. I'm more convinced that this could pass as an 18th c, even though I can't quite put my finger on why. I wouldn't know where in the world to start with this - what type of gown is it yearning to be?!


5. Icy rose silk taffeta. I so <3 this fabric, it makes my mouth water! This is another situation where I love the fabric so much, I don't want to half arse anything and mess it up. #'s 2-4 I honestly don't care as much about, even though they're OK fabrics.


BONUS: I have a larger bergère that *almost* matches both the striped and icy taffetas, although the two silks look absolutely wretched together. Probably would match the icy just slightly better.


Opinions, please?! My eternal gratitude and 1,004 internets to those who comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment