Friday, April 15, 2011

18th Century trims pondering

I’m not sure how much extra fabric I’m going to have, so I may or may not be able to do as much with self fabric as I would like.  So I’m going through my stash to see if I can find anything that might work as trim.

I have loads and loads of black lace, which might work as a trim.  I’m a bit worried about using it, however.  In my (admittedly somewhat limited) research, I’ve not seen any gowns trimmed with black lace.  I’ve seen lots and lots of gold and silver lace trim, and even some cream or white lace trim, but no black.  If I can justify black lace for my gown, I'm set – I seriously have SO much of this stuff.

The lace is gathered down the center, then I did a quickie job ‘dying’ some trim with a sharpie (just so I could see what it would look like as a combo).

IMAG0790

I have quite a bit of the pink (top) trim, but I really like the color, and I am actually planning a pink gown sometime in the future, so unless I really need to, I may not use this trim.

The mint green (bottom) trim on the other hand, I have an entire roll of, and would not feel bad at all dying and experimenting.  (This is the same trim layered over the lace above)

IMAG0791

I’m not sure if I’m going to use any of them, but I have some options when it comes to lace – I even have enough gold lace should I decide that the dress needs moar bling.  I have such a hard time with trimming anything, so something shiny like gold lace might be a bit too much for me.

IMAG0794

2 comments:

  1. I like the look of the lac trim. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! I'm thinking that even if I can't find historical precedence, I may just do it anyway. Not like I'm doing hardcore 18th c re-enactment.......Yet.

    ReplyDelete