Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Collegium

This weekend is the Southern Regional Collegium which is basically in my back yard, so I’m certainly going to go. In the back of my mind, I’ve been hoping for a new gown for this event, but alas, I’ve dragged my feet on these kirtles for so long, it is not to be. However, I’ve come up with a plan. A plan so cunning, you could pin a tail on it and call it a weasel!

DSCN0048

I have a side-back lacing kirtle (purple, of course) that I usually wear underneath my plum velvet coat. No one has really seen the kirtle on it’s own, so all I would have to do to have a completely ‘new’ gown is sew rings to the shoulders to attach the sleeves, and maybe do a quickie shoulder treatment, and voilà! A ‘new’ gown! (Basically the above without the dark plum over gown.)

Also, I dragged (drug?) my feet (I’m noticing a pattern of lack of motivation going on here…..) about putting in to teach classes at Collegium, but there was an announcement recently that said:

“There are several instructors who were unable to teach classes at Collegium for various. We will have a table available for those who wish to put out a sample and explanation of what they are available to teach and if they will teach one-on-one. Please take advantage of this opportunity.”

I’ll be offering how to make fabric buttons (I still have kits all made up and ready to go) and basic hand sewing techniques. Since I’ve had eyelets on the brain lately, maybe I’ll do eyelets too?

Does anyone have any other suggestions on what I could teach?

6 comments:

  1. I think making the plum kirtle into it's own gown is an excellent idea. Your button class is a good choice, so is eyelets. Maybe a bodice draping class for the one-on-one? The bodice pattern is a good start for people who are hesitant to try late period... dunno about if it's possible in an sca-event setting, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How to make frogs. How to make those nifty thread-covered wooden buttons. I still say you should do a full-on long class SOON, on the myriad of closures and lacing techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, also, you can totally wear your white pinked sleeves from your black dress with the lavender damask kirtle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very excited for the button class, I've wanted to learn to do those for awhile now. Maybe a class on sleeve treatment options and how to make them. I've always struggled with getting them just right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jane: Last time I did a bodice draping class, it was kind of epic fail - you're right, it would be much better one-on-one. But since it's Thursday, it might be too late of notice to let people know to bring muslin. But I will keep it in mind!

    @Jaquelinne: Frogs! Yes! I can totes do that!!! I never would have thought of that one on my own. (D'oh!) I am planning to teach both at Quest and at Kingdom Arts&Sciences - I was just to crazyface to get my classes in on time for Collegium. (Serafina = FAIL.) AND, yes! I am going to try on the whole thing and go through my stash of sleeve options for the kirtle and see which one speaks to me, but since I love those damn pinked sleeves so much, I'm pretty sure they'll win out anyway! :D (p.s. You're going to Collegium, right? I miss my Crystal. Like, a lot.)

    @Maysun: Yay! I'm glad you're excited! They're really not that bad to learn, so you'll be an expert in no time! RE: sleeve treatment class - that's one that will take a bit of planning, so I'll put it on my roster of "Classes I need to teach soon". Or, you can come over and have a sewing day wif me....just sayin! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm very excited for the button class, I've wanted to learn to do those for awhile now. Maybe a class on sleeve treatment options and how to make them. I've always struggled with getting them just right.

    ReplyDelete