Friday, May 13, 2011

Wedding Dress update, and another tip

If you’re working on fabric (like silk) that tends to suck down into the throat plate of your sewing machine when starting a seam, start sewing on a firmer fabric, then without cutting the thread, run onto the fabric to be seamed.

IMAG0972

Also, I’m really wishing I had one of these pairs of scissors right now.  (No, my sewing gadgetry collection is not complete, despite any evidence to the contrary!)

31SucMx3tOL._SL500_AA300_

As you can see in my first picture, I’m seaming some pretty squirrely silk chiffon (I hates you my precioussssss).  I’m going to be French seaming at least the very topmost layer (why yes, I hate it so much, I’m going to sew on it TWICE).  Anyway, so, why the applique scissors are helpful is when it comes to trimming seam allowances.  I usually cut the seam allowances before pressing, but with applique scissors, you can press over the seam allowance, and use the leaf-shaped applique scissors to neatly snip close to the seam without fear.  Awesome, right?!  If I had a pair, I’d show you what I’m talking about. 

A lot of blabbing to say, yeah, one can never have too many specialty tools!

But what you really want to know about is how I’m coming along on the dress, right? 

I’ve sent pictures to the client, and I’m hoping she likes where I’m going with it.  The bodice is ending up a bit higher than on the original inspiration picture, but that may not actually be a bad thing.

Another thing I need to find out from her is about the lining….the chiffon is pretty dang sheer – and I’d like to at least 3/4 line.  I can’t tell, but that may also be deviating from the original, but since I only have a couple of small photos to go from, it is hard to tell.

Onto the pictures!  (The pictures themselves are actually quite nice today, however, my excuses now have to do with the skirt….its only roughly pinned in place, and will be gathered properly when the time comes!)

I’m nearly at my stopping point for today since there is relatively little I can do until I hear back from my client, but that’s probably a good thing, I’m really beat!  Besides, it’s quickly coming up to zipper time, and I’ll need ALL my strength for that…..I hate zippers infinitely more than gathering…………

No comments:

Post a Comment