Thursday, May 19, 2011

Red Velvet Gown–Skirt attachment

I’m nearly done with the skirt attachments – the next post will be of a dress on Bertha!  I’ve done a few things differently than I have in the past, and I hope it’s not going to come back and haunt me!

For now, I’ll be talking about the cartridge pleats (and how much I love them)

-Mark gather increments on inside of skirt.  For mine, I did every 1/2”, and used one of my favorite sewing room tools, the chalk pencil.

IMAG1011

-Using a strong thread and large (upholstery) needle, make a large running stitch at the marks.

-I like to even the gathers out, and then pin at intervals to make sure I’m not over-packing the pleats.  (As I tend to do!)

IMAG0997

-Take the same needle and some strong thread (I’m using buttonhole twist) and catch the edge of both the pleat and the bottom of the bodice.  I like to go through each pleat twice – and I’m going to go back through again for extra security since these skirts are far and away heavier than any I have done in the past.

IMAG0998IMAG0999

Here’s a sneak-peek of what the skirts are going to look like:

IMAG1001

No comments:

Post a Comment