Friday, June 3, 2011

Saccoccia

There are a couple of different pictures of saccoccia in blue and gold – I happen to have a bit of blue and gold scrap fabric, so I decided to do this quickie tutorial in that fabric. 

I sewed this on a machine, so isn’t at all something I would show off as ‘period’, but is good enough for holding cell phones and cash hidden under skirts at events!

I don’t know how to upload documents yet….I very carefully drew this out to scale in Photoshop, then realized I may not be able to upload it as such! 

Aaaaaaanyway…..it’s not that complicated of a pattern…just kind of an elongated teardrop shape.  (I would suggest making the top longer than you think it should be….you can always cut off excess at the end)

saccoccia_pattern

Hokay.  So, you’ll want to cut 2 fabric & 2 lining.

IMAG1157

On the wrong side of your fabric, draw the slit line.  Sew around the line as close as you can. 

IMAG1158

When cutting the slit, make a “Y” cut at the end:

cut

Turn right side out & press slit.  (I top stitched the slit opening for extra durability)

IMAG1159

Pin lining out of the way, and pin fabric right side to right side.  Sew around the outside edge, clip & press.

IMAG1161

Pin fabric out of the way and pin lining right sides together.  Sew around outside edge, clip & press.

IMAG1162

You’re going to end up with a bellows-looking thing.  But don’t worry!

IMAG1164

IMAG1163

Turn right side out and tuck lining inside.  I’ve been folding over the top and stitching down, but you could bind the top edges or make an internal casing.

Voila!  Saccoccia! 

IMAG1165

1 comment:

  1. I. WANT. ONE!!!

    Well, two actually; gotta be all symmetrical n' stuff, right?  If I actually get my kirtle done tomorrow, mebbe I can attempt this...?

    ReplyDelete