Monday, March 28, 2011

“Little Black Dress” Kirtle

I spent the greater part of the weekend messing about on the internet (and oh yeah, spent a goodly amount of time helping a local gal make a farthingale.  Hurrah!  I was more productive than I remembered!), and didn’t get nearly as far on the black kirtle as I had hoped.  But to get you all up to speed, this is where I am:

The skirt is pleated and attached to the bodice.  To do:  stitch down the bodice linen layer to the skirt & lining layers.
IMAG0646

Bodice is fully constructed, and hand stitched along the edge.
IMAG0647

I’m nearly done stitching the boning in place at the center back.  To do:  finish boning ‘casing’ and eyelets.
IMAG0648

Then all that’s left are some easy-peasy pin-on sleeves, a quick stitch up the center back skirt, and it’s done!
I was given some white trim to do with as I pleased with the 3 kirtles I’m making, but there isn’t enough to do much for the black dress.  The green dress (alas, no pictures!) has three rows of white trim around the neckline, and diagonal trim on the sleeves.  I think that both the black dress and the red dress may have to go sans décor.

Speaking of the red dress, That one hasn’t even been started yet, so I’ll blog the entire process.

5 comments:

  1. Lookin' good! Lots of hand sewing :/ I know you don't really mind but I am hating it right now! I think it's okay that the black has no trim because it'll likely be worn with other things like a coat, etc, so plain will match everything. Great job!

    First comment on your blog?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally first!!! Hurrah! ;) I'm having a horrible time keeping motivated. Argh! Hand sewing looks awesome, and isn't that bad when I'm not in this weird mood.

    Thanks! I'm excited to see her wear them...from the reports I got on the green kirtle, she was very happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice work. I'm happy to know that I do it right (stitching bodice to skirt by hand) but I'm still mad that it never looks right no matter how much I press and pin. There are always little bubbles of too much or too little fabric.

    Also, I think I might try to go up to Ogden to give you silk bits, and if I'm coming up I wouldn't mind making a day of it so I can get some help with something I'm working on. Is there a time that works for you? feel free to email.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray! That'd be fabulous! I'm emailing you right now......

    ReplyDelete
  5. very nice work. I'm happy to know that I do it right (stitching bodice to skirt by hand) but I'm still mad that it never looks right no matter how much I press and pin. There are always little bubbles of too much or too little fabric.

    Also, I think I might try to go up to Ogden to give you silk bits, and if I'm coming up I wouldn't mind making a day of it so I can get some help with something I'm working on. Is there a time that works for you? feel free to email.

    ReplyDelete